California requires businesses to recycle – not only general recycling (cans, bottles, paper) but also organic waste (also referred to as organics throughout this resource) such as food scraps, landscaping waste and nonhazardous wood waste.  

Commercial Recycling (MCR) - AB341:

In an effort to reduce the amount of waste in landfills, Assembly Bill 341 requires the mandatory implementation of a recycling plan by businesses, public entities and multi-family housing complexes in California.  

  • Who must arrange for Recycling Services: all businesses that generate four (4) or more cubic yards of solid waste per week (solid waste includes trash, recycling and organic waste).
  • Ways to comply (using one or any combination of the following) *:
    • Subscribe to recycling service through Republic Services (call 714-238-2444)
    • Businesses may donate, sell and/or make other arrangements for pick-up of the recyclable material. This includes self-hauling the materials to recycling facilities.
      • *A property owner of a commercial business or multi-family residential dwelling may require tenants to source separate their recyclable material to aid in compliance. 
  • To learn more about waste and recycling and the current legislation visit the State’s website.

Commercial Organics Recycling (MORe) - AB1826:

State law AB 1826 requires "Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling", meaning that California businesses must now recycle their landscape cuttings and food waste depending on the amount of waste they generate per week. Organic wastes are recyclable through composting, mulching, and anaerobic digestion which can produce renewable energy and fuel.  In addition to recycling food scraps, donating surplus edible food to local food banks can be part of your AB1826 compliance.

  • What is Organic Waste: food waste, green wastes such as landscape and pruning waste, and non-hazardous wood waste. 
  • Who must arrange for Recycling Services: all businesses that generate two (2) or more cubic yards of solid waste per week (solid waste includes trash, recycling and organic waste). Multifamily complexes (of 5 or more units) must arrange for recycling services for the same material with the exception of food waste and food-soiled paper. 
  • Ways to comply (using one or any combination of the following)*:
    • Subscribe to a food waste recycling service through Republic Services. To subscribe please email or call 714-990-7645.
    • Participate in edible food recovery by donating to a Food Pantry/Bank. 
    • Have landscaper take landscaping and pruning waste from your property to a permitted composting facility.
    • Self-haul organic waste to a permitted composting facility.  
    • Conduct onsite processing or composting.
    • If you are a business and have signed up for organic (food waste) collection services, you can click here for flyers that can be used for training employees on separating food waste for recycling. Click here to view the Organics Recycling Training flyer.

Mandatory Organics Recycling – SB 1383:

SB1383 expands upon AB1826 and now requires all businesses and residences to divert organic waste from landfills. Certain commercial edible food generators must also make efforts to donate as much edible food as possible to edible food recovery organizations (see Edible Food Recovery below for more details). More information on SB 1383 can also be found on the CalRecycle webpage at California’s Short-Lived Climate Pollutant Reduction Strategy or Republic Services webpage.

  • How businesses can comply: subscribe to a food waste recycling service through Republic Services by emailing or calling 714-990-7645. There are many container sizes available to fit the needs of your business. The City, and/or Republic Services, can assist with evaluating your waste and recycling needs and help you ‘right size’ your containers. 
  • Edible Food Recovery:  Aside from organic waste recycling, SB 1383 also requires mandated businesses to recover the maximum amount of edible food to be donated to edible food recovery organizations (EFRO’s). Businesses that generate donatable edible food are called ‘edible food generators’ and are broken into two tiers depending on the type of business. Detailed information can be found at the CalRecycle website.
  • Requirements for Commercial Edible Food Generators can be found by clicking here.         sb-1383-edible-food-generators-01
    The following is a list of Edible Food Recovery Organization's that are located within Brea as well as a few regional organizations:
  • Food Recovery Org.
    Collection Service Area
    Contact Information
    Foods Accepted
    Christ Lutheran Church820 W. Imperial Hwy, BreaBreaJoAnne Sloan               
    (714) 993-4129
    Laura Harton 
    (714) 529-2984
    Only accepts food from Second Harvest Food Bank
    Jill's PantrySmall food pantries at local elementary schoolsBreaLibby Blood,
    (714) 471-6446
    Packaged non-perishables
    Brea Senior Center500 Sievers Ave, BreaBreaRebecca Matta (714) 990-7753Fruits/veggies, meat, eggs/dairy/dairy alternatives, cooked baked/prepared perishables, packaged non-perishables
    Southlands Church2950 E. Imperial Hwy, BreaBreaKirk -
    Joel -
    (714) 982-5055

    Active Christians Today (St. Angela Merici Church)585 S. Walnut Ave., BreaBreaYarmniz Garcia
    (714) 529-1821

    Second Harvest Food Bank
    Serving All of Orange County
    Abound Food Care
    Serving All of Orange County 

    (855) 700-9662

    Community Action Partnership of Orange County
    Serving All of Orange County
    Chefs to End Hunger
    Serving All of Orange County
    Food Finders
    Serving All of Orange County

    (562) 283-1400

    • Edible food generators will be contacted by the City with more details on how to participate. Again, additional information on SB1383 food generator requirements can be found on the CalRecycle page. Food Donors: Fight Hunger and Combat Climate Change (
    • Customer Access to Recycling - AB827 (this Bill amended AB341 and AB1826)
      • AB 827 is intended to educate and involve consumers in achieving the state’s recycling goals by requiring businesses to make recycling bins (general recycling and food waste) available to customers. This law targets businesses that sell products meant for immediate consumption.
      • Who must comply: businesses that generate 4 cubic yards or more of commercial solid waste must provide their customers with recycling containers that are visible, accessible, and adjacent to each trash container. 
      • How to comply: Details on full-service restaurants versus other types of food establishments are included since full-service restaurants do not have to provide properly labeled containers for patrons, but must provide properly labeled next to trash containers for employees to separate recyclables and organics for customers. Click the link for more information on Customer Access to Recycling (AB 827). Examples of labels made by CalRecycle can be used for compliance. 

    • Hazardous Waste Recycling: Have hazardous waste from a business and need to know how to properly dispose of it? Click here: