The Brea Police Department is proud to offer the Citizen Academy to the Brea community! Get an up-close look at law enforcement and learn from Brea Police personnel. Be part of this interactive program that is designed to increase understanding of the Brea Police Department's operations. The free, annual Citizen Academy is a one evening per week, 8-week program designed to give participants an up-close look at law enforcement through education.
Next Session: September 2023
Location: Conference Center | 1 Civic Center Circle
Students learn about all aspects of police operations. Course curriculum may cover the following topics:
- Criminal Law
- Active Shooter
- History of Brea Police Department
- Dispatch and Police Communications
- Composite Sketching and Forensic Art
- Crime Suppression Unit (CSU)
- Financial Crimes and Scams
- Crime Scene Investigation
- K-9 Program
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Enforcement
- Police Field Training Program and Academy
- Reporting and Investigation Process
- Patrol Tactics
- Professional Standards and Personnel Recruitment
- Public Information and Social Media
- Firearms Familiarization and Training
- School Resource Officer Program
- North Orange County Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT)
- Traffic Safety and Enforcement
The Citizen Academy also provides a great opportunity to get to know the women and men of the Brea Police Department, as well as the chance to meet other members of the Brea community.
- Provide the community information to gain knowledge of police operations, units, division, procedures, and protocol.
- Enhance the partnership between the community and police through education and interaction in order to establish a safer community.
- Motivate the community to proactively help prevent crime to help strengthen police and community relationships.
Participants in for the Citizens Academy must meet the following criteria:
- Adult who either lives or works in the City of Brea
- Must successfully pass a background check
Due to the limited space in each academy cohort, participants must be able to commit to attending each class within the 10-week program. Students cannot select certain classes in the program to attend.
Apply Online: Citizen Academy Application
Apply via Mail: Citizen Academy Mail Application
Mail Completed Application to:
Brea Police Department
1 Civic Circle, Brea CA 92821
Attn: Detective Ryan Trent
Please contact Detective Ryan Trent by phone at: (714) 990-7618 or by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Available spots will be prioritized on a first-come, first-serve basis with submittal of the application. Priority will be given to Brea residents.