Building & Safety Division
Projects submitted on or after January 1st, 2023 must comply with the 2022 California Codes (Title 24)
|2022 California Administrative Code||2022 California Building Code|
|2022 California Residential Code||2022 California Electrical Code|
|2022 California Mechanical Code||2022 California Plumbing Code|
|2022 California Energy Code||2022 California Fire Code|
|2022 California Green Building Standards Code||2022 California Historical Building Code|
|2022 California Existing Building Code||City of Brea Municipal Code & Ordinances|
Applying for Permits
To apply for a building permit, submit for plan check, or apply for a Certificate of Occupancy please email your application and all necessary documents to Building@cityofbrea.net. Once received, City staff will reach out to you with further information. If you have any questions or need additional information please call 714-671-4406.
Brea’s Building & Safety Division’s plan check, inspection, code enforcement, and Building Official are all International Code Council (ICC) Certified. This goal of 100% ICC Certification demonstrates a professional commitment to public safety, diverse knowledge of construction safety codes, and a high level of self-initiative. Being professionally certified by the Code Council provides a nationally recognized credential that will only enhance the services provided to Brea’s residents and businesses.
The International Code Council is a member-focused association committed to protecting public health, safety, and welfare by developing model codes and standards used in the design, build, and compliance process.
- Frequently Asked Question: Will my construction project increase my property tax? Find out by visiting the OC Assessor’s website.
- California’s Building Energy Efficiency Standards are in effect starting July 1, 2014. For more information, visit the California Energy Commission website.
- Get the free FEMA earthquake safety guide for homeowners.
- The 2019 California Building Standards Code is now enforceable as of January 1, 2020. See the Building Code Requirements page for more information.
- SB 407: Water Conserving Plumbing Fixture Replacement is now enforceable as of January 1, 2014. Find out if the new requirements apply to your project.
- View the form to Request for Unreasonable Hardship.
- SoCalGas Pipeline Safety Information - Contact 811 Before You Dig.